Friday, July 13, 2007

Firefox Hack: Remove Close Button [X] from Tabs

I often find myself with many tabs opened at the same time when using Firefox. I also find myself occasionally accidentally pressing the red X and closing tabs unintentionally. Since I always close tabs by clicking the middle mouse button on them, the only thing the red X is good for is to be a nuisance.

Here's how to get rid of it:

1. Type "about:config" into address bar
2. Scroll down to "browser.tabs.closeButtons" and change the value to "2."

Awesome!


Here are what the other values do:

0 - Display close button on active tab
1 - Display close button on all tabs
2 - Display no close buttons
3 - Display single close button at end of tab bar (Firefox 1.x)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this. I sometimes click the wrong tab and it really pi$$es me off.

Thanks,
Ed

TheFudz said...

oh thats brilliant. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks. Had exact same problem you described, this helped it.

Servant said...

You rock!

Anonymous said...

Big karma your direction!!

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Hah! It's 2011 now and it still works. Thx so much for this! I have the exact same problem. >.<
Well... had. ;)

Anonymous said...

thanks alot buddy ! :)